Thursday, January 16, 2014

I quit housemanship but not medicine

People always ask me this one question when I met them for the first time or when I told my friend about what I'm doing now. Most of the people thought that being a doctor means work in a hospital or clinic, or university as a lecturer.

Actually a doctor's job have two main division: clinical and non clinical. Doing clinical works means that you work in the hospital or clinic, treating patients. While doing non clinical works involves mainly advisory job like an advisor or lecturer.

Although I quit housemanship, I'm not quitting medicine. I love medicine but I don't like to practice. Hence I do what I do now. I am still a doctor but doing a medical advisory job for an insurance company. After few years of working I will be able to be a Medical Consultant in the future which give higher salary and more benefits.

There are other ways for you to still use what you have without wasting all your knowledge. The road diverge into two and I took the road usually not taken. And I really happy with what I have now.

I hope my blog readers will find the road to take and enjoy the journey.

Adieu.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there. Im a ho who is planning to quit housemanship. after 4 months going through this, I realised that practising medicine is not what I want to do for now and times to come. However, Im clueless of my next step as in what to work as with my mbbs cert. Would u mind shedding some light on how to go on with the medical advisory thingy. Thank u in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      The job is mainly involving in providing advice from medical perspective to the company's operation team.

      Delete
  2. hi ,
    I have quitted HO and i'm kinda lost now. how can I get a job such as medical advisory job?

    ReplyDelete